When
I read, the entire world disappears around me. The storyline and the
characters, no
matter how improbable, spring to life in my mind as the words on
the page shape their very being.
Over the year of 2013, the books that have
come alive in my head have been some to the best I have read in my life. In
general, every single book I read last year was powerful and every single one
left its own memory in my imagination.
When the Stars Go Blue by
Caridad Ferrer was by far one of the best romantic books I have ever read. The
use of feelings and emotions made the writing astounding, to say the very
least. I loved the way the author made it seem like dancing, to Soledad, was
just another boy that she was in love with. Ferrer described Jonathan as the
one Soledad would be with forever, then introduced Taz, who abruptly changed
the dynamics of the seemingly eternal couple. Overall, the way the author makes
the entire book change in a just a page makes me want to read it over and over
again.
The Fault in our Stars by
John Green is the best book I have had the pleasure of reading in 2013. Even
though it is another sappy love story, Green manages to glue the reader to the
story and understand all of the horrors and excitements that the characters
face. No matter how unlikely Augustus and Hazels’ situation is, I couldn’t help
but think that it was all real. The book taught me countless lessons that I
plan on looking to when I need help. Hazel and Gus are the two most developed
people I have been able to piece together in my mind. Every writers choice
Green made about the story changed at least something in the grand scheme of
things and I found that amazing.
The last great book on my
must-read list is Wonder by R. J. Palacio. Before this book, I thought
is some places of my life I had it hard. Once I read this, I realized that I
was lucky in those places of my life compared to August. August was born with a
birth defect that affected his facial structure. The author brought us through
the roller coaster ride of Augusts life through multiple points of views like
through August himself or his sister or one of their friends. I found the most
powerful view the book was written in was Augusts himself, but the other
portrayals of his life told by different people really made the book something
special.
In conclusion, 2013 was an astounding
reading year for me personally. I have grown in leaps and bounds as a reader
and I am ready to take on new books and new challenges in this year of 2014. I discovered
my favorite books of all time, and to me, that is a great accomplishment.
Blog Post Commenting
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment